- The cruise phase. The aim of this portion of diet is to allow you to reveal your true weight, which has been previously calculated. At this phase, you are able to eat over 100 types of food, the initial protein allowance plus 32 types of vegetables. Your days of protein and vegetables and days of pure protein are alternated so the vegetables are slowly reintroduced. This phase length is based on a basic schedule of 3 days per pound you aim to lose.
- Duration: 3 days per pound
- Types of foods: protein and vegetables
- Physical activity: 30 minutes
- Oat bran (tablespoon): 2
- The consolidation phase. The aim of this phase of Dukan diet, is to prevent any sort of regression or putting weight back on. During this consolidation phase, fruit, starchy foods and cheese are reintroduced. At this phase you are at your most vulnerable, as the body will naturally have a tendency to put some of your lost weight back on. Forbidden foods are slowly reintroduced to limited quantities, with 2 ‘celebratory meals’ per week. This phase also includes one of the original ‘pure protein’ days.
- Duration: 5 days per pound lost in cruise
- Types of foods: protein, vegetables and fruit, starchy foods and cheese.
- Physical activity: 25 minutes
- Oat bran (tablespoon): 2.5
- The stabalisation phase. This is less of a phase and more of a lifestyle choice. After achieving your True Weight, and reintroducing carbohydrates it would be easy to over-celebrate as it were. This would be where you regain some weight and lose some of your hard work! Going forward, a healthy eating pattern will follow from such strict non-negotiable stages. The last phase is the least strict, but most important. There are only 3 rules to this phase in addition to a healthy balanced diet, which are: 3 tablespoons of Oat Bran per day; walk 20 minutes per day; pure protein day once per week.
- Duration: for life
- Types of foods: protein, vegetables, fruit, starchy foods, cheese and all other food groups.
- Physical activity: 20 minutes
- Oat bran (tablespoon): 3
The length of time spent on the diet is dependent on your current weight, goal weight and fitness level.
The revised Dukan diet
Since the original Dukan diet, as always with research, there have been further developments in this area. A follow up program was introduced which is a more granular plan of when each food group should be reintroduced. It suggested segmenting to consolidation phase up creating 7 phases in total whereby each food from phase 3 has its own phase.
How much weight can I lose with the Dukan diet?
Throughout this strict no-negotiation diet, a significant amount will be lost initially. The rest of the diet then ensures this weight will not return. There is sufficient evidence that this diet is successful and sustainable long term, as with similar low-carb diets, such as the Atkins diet.
Although this is a safe diet, it is advised those with serious medical conditions try a more laid-back diet as the restriction of high-fat food can sometimes be troublesome if the medical condition is of a serious nature.
Celebrity endorsement of the Dukan diet
This diet plan is popular amongst celebrities and familiar faces due to its immediate yet sustainable nature. Kate Middleton supposedly turned to this 4-phase diet to slim down for the infamous royal wedding. Other celebrities such as Jennifer Lopez and Lauren Goodger are also largely advocates for the high-protein, low-carb plan.
Our top tips on the Dukan diet:
- Strictly sticking to the 4 phases
- Understanding which foods favourable in each stage
- Knowing which food group each food is part of
- Carrying a phases appropriate snack to avoid temptation
How are other low-carb diets such as Atkins different to the Dukan diet?
Each of these diets are similar in that they both advocate a reduced carbohydrate intake so stored fat in the body is burned quicker. However, the key differences are:
- The Dukan diet has no calorie counting
- The Dukan diet has over 100 foods to choose from
- The Dukan diet focuses on low-fat proteins, but Atkins has no limits on fats
- The Dukan diet emphasises natural foods over shakes and bars like Atkins does.
- The Dukan diet provides unlimited consumption of the 100 foods, whereas Atkins has a limit.
Pros: immediate and sustainable weight loss, this diet provides long term results
Cons: not suitable for those with serious medical conditions.
Doesn’t sound like your cup of tea? Don’t worry, there are plenty of major diet plans to help you lose all the weight you want to, each with their own pros and cons. Take a look at our other diet plans.