A Detailed Fast Track to Health Care & Why You Need It
What is Health Insurance?
Health insurance, often called private medical insurance, is an insurance policy that covers the costs of private healthcare, from diagnosis to treatment. You will pay a monthly subscription that covers all or some of the cost of treatment for acute conditions that develop after your health insurance policy has begun.
You may choose to take out private health insurance because it gives you quick access to medical treatment. You can usually have an individual policy just for yourself, one for you and your partner or a policy that gives your whole family cover. If you’re lucky you may have health insurance as a benefit from your employer but if not, you can buy cover yourself.
There are a number of companies who offer Private Health Insurance but in this article we’re going to focus on AXA Healthcare, and the products and services they offer.
How does private health insurance work?
Private health insurance covers you for all the benefits of private health care without the worry of how to pay for your treatment. You pay regular premiums, and if covered under your plan your treatment will be covered.
With AXA Private Healthcare Insurance, you’re seen and treated quickly when you’re ill. The earlier you get help, the sooner you can start getting better. You’ll see a consultant and you’re treated in a private hospital, or the private wing of an NHS hospital usually in the comfort of your own room.
At AXA they believe that great care puts you in control.
Personal Health puts you in control in two ways. It means being able to tailor your plan, so you’ve got the cover that’s right for you. This includes having the choice to add an out-patient option for specialist consultations and diagnostic tests, travel, dental care, physiotherapy and, subject to your medical history, mental health cover.
It also gives you a choice of when and where you want to be treated, and who you want to be responsible for your care. They’ll be there for you and your family when you need them most, also covering you for new medical conditions that arise after you join.
Before you take out your plan, think about what’s important to you and what you want to cover. Making a list of priorities can help you choose the right plan for your needs.
The main features of their Personal Health Insurance Plan include;
- Access to their Fast Track Appointments service, giving you swift access to specialists and eligible treatment (when you choose an Out-patient option)
- Over 250 hospitals within their Directory of Hospitals, with more than 36,500 recognised consultants and other practitioners
- Full in-patient and day-patient hospital fees cover (on specialist referral), including operating-theatre costs, nursing care, drugs and dressings, specialist fees, consultations, diagnostic tests, CT, MRI and PET scans and physiotherapy (at a hospital from our Directory of Hospitals)
- Access to the latest licensed approved cancer drugs, on specialist referral, even if they aren’t available on the NHS (subject to medical history and cover options chosen. Out-patient drugs are not covered by this plan)
- Their dedicated heart and cancer nurse service available on the phone when you need it most, through treatment, diagnosis and recovery
- Their support line, Health at Hand, with nurses and counsellors available 24/7 to answer any questions
- Access to their free online Health Centres, covering topics from allergies to mental health and ageing well
- Online access to health and wellbeing support communities through Health Unlocked
- Their Second Opinion Service, giving you piece of mind (when you include an Out-patient option with your plan)
Core Private Health Insurance Cover
Personal Health, their private health insurance plan covers you for treatment for a wide range of conditions if you need to spend time in hospital on specialist referral. For out-patient cover you need to choose their out-patient option which will cover you for your specialist consultations and diagnostic tests. They do not cover out-patient drugs.
With their heart and cancer cover and care, you’ll be covered for radiotherapy and chemotherapy. You’ll also have access to a dedicated nurse helpline to help with healthcare concerns about the condition, treatment and care options. You can also talk to AXA any time, day or night, so you’ll never have to find your way on your own.
Over the past few months, they’ve also introduced a range of temporary benefits to help support our members. Some of these new ideas worked so well, they’re adding them to the standard cover. All members now have access to:
- A new Clinical Support Service, providing quick, easy virtual access to leading specialists and practitioners available by telephone, video or online
- Unlimited video or telephone consultations with AXA Doctor at Hand our online GP service (powered by Doctor Care Anywhere. Subject to availability and the Doctor Care Anywhere fair usage policy, not available on child-only policies)
- NHS cash benefit increased by £100 per night (until 31 March 2021) up to £2000 per plan year. You can also use this benefit if you’re hospitalised for Covid-19 related conditions
AXA Dental Insurance
Another great product from AXA Healthcare is Dental Insurance.
It’s easy to ignore that irritating ache every time you eat something sweet. After all, you’re too busy to get it looked at, plus there’s the cost of treatment too. Next thing you know, you’ve got serious dental pain.
With their dental cover, you’ll be able to see a dentist when you need to, without worrying about the cost (subject to the terms of your plan). And with regular check-ups, hopefully you won’t get to the stage of a dental emergency. But even if you do, at least they can take away the financial pain.
The great thing is you can have this cover on its own and separate to having private health insurance if you wish.
Getting a Quote
The process of getting a quote for private healthcare is quick and simple. If you click this link you’ll be taken to the application page, where once you put in a few simple details you’ll be given a quote immediately.
You may also receive a follow up call from a representative from AXA, who may be able to reduce the monthly cost by tweaking some of the options available under your cover. A colleague of mine managed to trim £25 off the monthly cost so this is well worth a try.
With the world the way it is at the minute, having private healthcare would be a great source of reassurance. Knowing that if you needed medical or hospital care you’d be taken care of in the best environments and safe hands so why not get a no obligation quote today?